Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hide and Seek? or Seek and Find?

The thing in my family to do in the car is to make up weird games to play.  Actually, this really only applies to my daughters as my older son is now in the phase of life where he simply wants to turn up the radio, or even better zone out on his ipod. 

So, the other day my 6 year old Emma says to me, "Daddy, let's play a game.  I say a number and you have to say if it's a boy or a girl."  Now, I know in some languagues pretty much every word is either masculine or feminine, but I've never heard of numbers having gender!  But what the heck, I'm game. 

"1"  I say "boy".  "No, it's a girl." she says.  "2"  I say "Boy?"  "No, it's a girl."  "3"  I say "Girl???"  "No Dad, it's a boy!" she says, sounding rather annoyed at my ineptness.

Basically, I didn't get one right until I think number 11.  I have a sneaky suspicion there was no formula involved, simply a matter of how much she wanted Daddy to suffer.  Fun game.

If the game is not understood, it's pretty hard to enjoy the game. 


Isaiah 45:19 says,
I publicly proclaim bold promises. I do not whisper obscurities in some dark corner. I would not have told the people of Israel to seek me if I could not be found. I, the LORD, speak only what is true and declare only what is right.

Sometimes we think our relationship with God is a game like Emma's, where we really don't know the rules or how to play.  We go along, trying as hard as we can to figure God out, only to be frustrated.  There's been times I've felt that way. 

Isaiah 45 gives us some assurance - there is a point, it is possible, keep seeking!

James 4:8 Says . . . Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. 

There was no magical formula to figure out Emma's game, and there's no magic formula to get close to God, just keep moving His direction, and believe me, He'll meet you way more than half way!

No comments:

Post a Comment