Thursday, September 19, 2013

What IOS are you running?

OK, so I'm not really an Apple guy.  (this is the point where 37% of you stop reading)  But, I do have an iPad that I use quite a bit (not as much as my 7 year old uses it, but that's another post).  Like the rest of the country, nay, world, I am currently waiting for the new operating system to download and re-arrange everything on my device that I just now figured out how to use . . .

It's really got me thinking, there's an incredible spiritual dynamic between what's happening to my iPad and what should be happening in my life.  You see, the operating system isn't really an app, or a program, but it's the complex arrangement of all the codes that make all the apps and programs actually function.  It determines how everything else works.  That should accurately describe our faith.  Our faith shouldn't just be something we activate on Sundays or around certain people . . . something we turn on or off.  Our relationship with God should determine everything about our lives: -What kind of student, parent, spouse we are . . . - How we speak to our children, teachers, strangers . . . - Why we spend our money the way we do . . .

2 Corinthians 5:17 says ". . . anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!"  

Another thing about an operating system -  it isn't really visible most of the time.  Some folks think that they need to be this loud, in your face type of Christian who is constantly blowing up everyone who has a different viewpoint.  The greatest testimony to a good operating system is that everything just works . . .   So, how's that going?  Is your family life demonstrating the Gospel?  Do the people around you see a life that "works?"  I'm not talking about the fake masks we where pretending that everything is rosy, but the genuine life lived by God's principles that genuinely works.  That's what a watching world needs to see.

So, I'm challenged to spend some extra time in the Bible today "downloading" what my life needs to operate properly, and praying to the One who gives me strength to do what's right, for a life that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment